From: Peter Johanson <peter@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Viability of other SCM/version control systems for big repo's
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:03:16
1 On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 10:38:10PM +0100, Fernando J. Pereda wrote:
2 >
3 > It's not the size of the repo what matters... it is the workflow. I
4 > don't know how they work... but I definately don't think ours suits in a
5 > distributed SCM as Ciaran pointed out.
6
7 I'm not sure about that. Having portage in arch/bazaar would let 'gentoo
8 derivatives' to easily pull selective changes from the 'mainline', would
9 potentially allow us to pull back from them, etc. It might facilitate the
10 stable project to do branches of portage and snipe individual patches
11 for updates, etc very easily. The distributed aspect of it doesn't
12 necessary have to immediately impact core gentoo devs commiting ebuilds.
13
14 Or maybe not, I dunno. The point being I don't think we should immediately write off
15 any of the distributed SCMs without pondering how they might make a difference or be usable.
16
17 -pete
20 Peter Johanson
21 <latexer@g.o>