From: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
To: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>
Cc: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 07:27:59
1 On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 16:50, Luke-Jr wrote:
3 >
4 > Another suggestion... Why not move away from -sources and make ebuilds based
5 > on genkernel (eg. sys-kernel/{,{gentoo,redhat,suse,...}-}linux). There would
6 > need to be something for manual configuration changes, but I believe
7 > genkernel already supports something like this. The only problem I can see is
8 > that it would end up recompiling the entire kernel for every configuration
9 > change, though that's a Portage bug that affects all ebuilds currently.
10 > Is there any reason to install the kernel sources anymore and not do this?
11 > - --
12 > Luke-Jr
13 > Developer, Gentoo Linux
14
15 I've pretty much kept quiet about this, but I'd like to take this moment
16 to remind people, that Gentoo, is not just x86, the kernel team is not
17 just people who build x86 kernels, and Gentoo tools to build kernels,
18 should be required to run on all arches before Gentoo decides to make
19 them a standard method during install for users.
20
21 trance