From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 34 (category metadata) implemented
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:34:58
1 On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 09:26 +0100, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > > Hrm, according to the DTD, no. You'll need to persuade pauldv on that
3 > > one if you want to use them...
4 >
5 > If you give me a good reason I'll be persuaded. If however you look back at
6 > the herds proposal there is no linkage between categories and herds. To add
7 > this would possibly introduce that. I also want to have some kind of meaning
8 > added on putting herd and maintainer in category metadata. Especially for
9 > maintainer it would seem strange that someone could maintain all packages in
10 > a category.
11
12 Well, games-* could be herd: games... and games-fps could be herd: games
13 maintainer: vapier, wolf31o2... I'm also sure that app-vim could be
14 herd: vim... Just like app-emacs could be herd: emacs...
15
16 There are herds that are specifically designed to maintain a category.
17 Take net-mail or net-print (printing) as examples. At the very minimum,
18 I can see value in being able to assign a herd to a category, if not a
19 maintainer.
22 Chris Gianelloni
24 Games - Developer
25 Gentoo Linux