From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Portage einfo, elog... output format change
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2021 22:00:46
1 On 9/30/2021 02:40, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Would it be possible to have some switch (e.g. --style=legacy) that
5 > controls this new vs. the old behaviour? Would perhaps allow
6 > applications that parse the output to work via setting this in the
7 > global opts.
8
9 Perhaps this would be better as a FEATURE flag? E.g., 'legacy-output' or
10 something similar?
13 > In addition, much like the colour map, how do you see this change in
14 > light of eclasses, init-scripts, etc. that also use the same scheme as
15 > Portage at the moment? Would you expect to change those too at some
16 > point?
17 >
18 > Final question, am I understanding correctly that normal lines are not
19 > prefixed with something? Would it be, for consistency, alignment, and
20 > certainty of selecting rows something to use a prefix for those lines
21 > too (assuming they aren't at this point)?
22 >
23 > Thanks,
24 > Fabian
28 Joshua Kinard
29 Gentoo/MIPS
30 kumba@g.o
31 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
32 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
33
34 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
35 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
36
37 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic