From: Rolf Eike Beer <eike@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Use acct-* for qmail users
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 16:38:43
1 Am Mittwoch, 11. September 2019, 00:54:39 CEST schrieb Michael Orlitzky:
2 > On 9/10/19 4:25 PM, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
3 > > I'm not entirely sure. It's what qmail always has done and what the eclass
4 > > also did.
5 >
6 > This is suggested by the qmail documentation,
7 >
8 > http://lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#create-users
9 >
10 > ...but goes back to at least 1998, and likely earlier. I grepped the
11 > source and don't see any obvious uses of $HOME. It was probably
12 > suggested by DJB simply because it's a directory, and guaranteed to
13 > exist on the various platforms that qmail supported at the time.
14
15 I have tested it without a home directory on 2 of my machines and it seems
16 like it works fine. I have removed the home directory from the patches.
17
18 Greetings,
19
20 Eike