From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidelines for dangerous USE flags
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 18:44:25
1 On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 01:22:51PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > 1) require EXTRA_ECONF to enable it.
3 > 2) hide it behind a masked USE flag.
4 >
5 > Both options require about the same amount of work from the user, namely
6 > editing something under /etc/portage. What do y'all think is the best
7 > way to proceed? Are there other examples in the tree I could follow?
8 From a Gentoo Infrastructure team perspective, we'd strongly prefer USE
9 flags, because that fits better into existing configuration management
10 tools, almost none of which have handling for EXTRA_ECONF or rebuilding
11 after EXTRA_ECONF changes (rebuild-on-USE-change is supported).
12
13 And please do bring that option back, we do use it for NRPE in a limited
14 set of cases (eg to avoid hard-coding passwords into the NRPE config).
17 Robin Hugh Johnson
18 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
19 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
20 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
21 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136