From: grozin@g.o
To: gentoo-python <gentoo-python@l.g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-python] Updates from Python team: python.eclass gone, gpyutils updates, incoming PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET change
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 06:28:31
1 Many thanks to the python team for good work.
2
3 In some cases a package installs some script(s) which run python
4 interpreter. I mean IDE-like packages, e.g., spyder, bpython, ptpython,
5 etc. A user may want to run either python2 or python3 using such IDE. The
6 "standard" behaviour is to install a single script which runs python2 or
7 python3 depending on eselect python. In the case of spyder, there was a
8 user who insisted that he wants to use spyder for python2 *and* python3,
9 without changing the global eselect python setting. I've changed the
10 ebuild to install 3 scripts: spyder (behaves as above), spyder2, and
11 spyder3. The same may be useful for bpython, ptpython, and, maybe, some
12 other packages. Are there plans to make this task easy and systematic,
13 without re-inventing the wheel in each ebuild?
14
15 Andrey