From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] any interest in removing /usr/qt and /usr/kde ?
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:32:00
1 On Monday 20 September 2004 17:40, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > On Monday 20 September 2004 11:48, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > ps. The other "solution" could be to do it like the eclipse ebuild does
4 > > and install in /usr/lib/eclipse or /usr/lib/kde/3.3, although I even like
5 > > it less. I think that our solution is best. To be FHS compliant (better,
6 > > to sidestep the FHS) we could make a new subdir to /usr where we put
7 > > these packages. This does not violate the FHS as no package is directly
8 > > under /usr and we still follow our own guidelines, and provide a clean
9 > > solution.
10 >
11 > Since the issue's been raised, I've nothing against this proposal. We want
12 > to counter the possible future problem of other packages following kde's
13 > lead and supporting multiple versions in separate directories, because many
14 > directories under /usr really is messy.
15 >
16 > E.g., create a /usr/packages and put qt, kde and anything else there
17 > (/usr/packages/kde/3.2; ...). Who wants to take this proposal to the FHS
18 > people? :-)
19
20 I'll propose it to them in the case that there are more people that support
21 this.
22
23 Paul
26 Paul de Vrieze