From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: SCM choices (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo infra backups)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:04:50
1 On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 12:30 +0200, Marijn Schouten (hkBst) wrote:
2 > I've been reading some SCM comparisons and there are three systems which I think are the best
3 > candidates for moving to: git, mercurial and darcs. These are the three fastest and most capable
4 > SCMs. Git is still the fastest but mercurial and darcs are not far behind. Darcs has the best
5 > merging capabilities probably due to its being based on a solid mathematical foundation; patch algebra.
6
7 Please, everyone, go back and read the actual *facts* that were
8 discovered using copies of *our* repositories before going around using
9 data from outside sources. Unless you're willing to spend the time to
10 *prove* that some other SCM is faster/better than CVS and actually works
11 *with our repositories* properly, then there's no point in discussing
12 this *yet again* on the list.
13
14 Remember that when this was investigated last summer, *none* of the
15 alternate SCMs were really viable for us, with Subversion being the
16 least likely to suck. I'm sure things might have changed a bit since
17 then, but one of the major things we noticed from the study was that our
18 findings on *our* data set didn't really match the FUD/evangelism that
19 was being spouted by proponents of other SCMs.
20
21 Picking a SCM is *not* a religious or political move. It should be done
22 entirely for technical reasons.
23
24 If you want to bring this back up, I ask you to have the data to back it
25 up. Otherwise, we really don't need to discuss it since everybody is
26 going to have differing opinions based on nothing but anecdotes and here
27 say. We get enough of that around here. Let's try to stick to facts
28 and reproducible data.
29
30 Thanks,
33 Chris Gianelloni
34 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
35 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
36 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
37 Gentoo Foundation