From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] signing with proxied maintainers
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 21:03:51
1 once we move to git, the workflow for proxy maintainers is going to be
2 a lot smoother. the question is how to handle signing with proxy
3 maintainers.
4
5 it would be nice if said proxied maintainers would sign things and
6 that would be preserved all the way to the push to the common server.
7 pros:
8 - Gentoo dev doing the proxy can pull, look at the commits, and then push
9 cons:
10 - proxied maintainers need to set up pgp too
11 - we need to have another list of keys to accept outside of the
12 existing Gentoo dev list
13 - easy to miss if commit was made through repoman, or on an older tree
14
15 the other method would be that a Gentoo dev pulls the changesets and
16 then runs `repoman commit` himself.
17 pros:
18 - proxied maintainers need not think of pgp at all
19 - we only need the original Gentoo dev key list
20 - the Gentoo dev knows immediately if there's a repoman problem
21 cons:
22 - workflow not as smooth
23
24 i thinking about this last bit, i wonder if that could simply be
25 addressed in repoman itself ? we could add a "repoman push" command
26 that compared the remote branch to the local one to find out all the
27 packages that have been updated, go into each one and rebuild just the
28 Manifest, and then do the `git push`.
29 -mike