From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bug features etc.
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:25:32
1 Hi
2
3 On Tuesday 19 March 2002 23:48, you wrote:
4 > Hi there,
5 > then: some sugestions on emerge:
6 > * make a --fake option only adding the package to the database, without
7 And what is it supposed to add to the database? You will need to supply
8 it with the list of installed files as the bare minimum, so that uninstall
9 will be possible, otherwise these is not much sense in doing this.
10 But then the existing infrastructure allows you to do manuall install under
11 portage "controll". See faq for "can I do ./configure step manually"
12 question. You may need to create a very basic (since you are making it
13 manually) ebuild script for package which is not included (even just
14 copy/rename existing ).
17 > then: a nasty bug which for which I cannot give you exact listings, since
18 > it happend during bootstrapping. Somehow a package started complaining that
19 > gcc could not build binairies. (about 30min in the process, sorry, that's
20 > all I can say) I tried the latest iso: 1.0r6-17. That was a shame, I had to
21 > do a binairy install. Which brings me to my last point:
22 bootstrap is not exatcly what you would want to do in such a situation. I
23 would say, that you need to do "emerge system", however since all packages
24 are installed already emerge will not find much stuff to bther with, only
25 wht's need to be updated. Here some kind of --autobuild flag could help.
26 The binary CD is quite new and there was no need for such a feature before,
27 but feel free to file a request to this list.
28 (BTW, I don't remember if bugs.gentoo.org contains a category for feature
29 requests? It would be a usefull one).
30 Right now you can look in /usr/portage/profiles/default* (see which one
31 your /etc/make.profile is linked to).
32 packages.build contains what is getting built when emerging "system" for
33 example (and theese files are ment to be modified if you are doing a very
34 special low-level install, but KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!, you are basically
35 going LFS way at this point).
36 emerge /dir/package will force-remerge this package even if the same version
37 is already installed. You will need to prepare the list of packages you want
38 remerged and then just loop throug them.
39 Alternatively emerge app-admin/gentoolkit, this contains web-interface to
40 emerge. You can browse and remerge you packages from you web-browser.
41
42 George