From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] virtual/term?
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:42:49
1 On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 19:36 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Aron Griffis wrote:
6 > > That bug is complaining that xterm is installed, and requests that it
7 > > not be necessary. I don't see how this leads to virtual/term,
8 > > though. After all, they didn't request Gentoo to make sure there is
9 > > a terminal installed.
10 >
11 > You are correct that this wasn't the request. It was a potential
12 > solution to that request that had previously been discussed among X
13 > folks as a solution to the problem that people had another terminal
14 > emulator and didn't want two.
15 >
16 > > How about making a local USE "xterm" for xorg-x11, then adding it to
17 > > the default list? Then such users can USE=-xterm and they'll be all
18 > > set.
19 >
20 > I've already elaborated on how we provide a complete X implementation as
21 > upstream does. We've just taken the liberty of splitting it out into two
22 > separate ebuilds, one for xterm and one for everything else.
23 >
24 > A terminal emulator is not considered an optional part of a complete X
25 > implementation. I'm willing to deviate from that by saying any emulator
26 > could be acceptable rather than just xterm, but perhaps that was a bad idea.
27
28 Worth noticing here. The -default- X environment launches xterms, and
29 will break without xterm. This is the same for any and all tests that
30 are documented in "get X to work" things.
31
32 So, if you are in that situation, xterm is not optional. :-)
33
34 And frankly, I don't think you want to build in "find my xterm" logic
35 in the X startup scripts.
36
37 //Spider
40 begin .signature