From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] unifying use.mask/package.use.mask, use.force, package.use.force, etc
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 22:11:57
1 Hola folks.
2
3 Currently, our if you needed to mask the use flag introspection
4 globally, but allow it to be used for say app-crypt/gcr, the profile
5 configuration would be the following:
6
7 use.mask:
8 introspection
9
10 package.use.mask:
11 app-crypt/gcr -introspection
12
13 Frankly, this is a bit of a pain in the ass- it creates a shiteton of
14 intermediate files, and it requires the dev to recall "use.mask before
15 package.use.mask" among other things.
16
17 I'd suggest instead just killing off the package.* content, and
18 folding them into use.*; the proceeding content would thus be:
19
20 use.mask:
21 * introspection
22 app-cryt/gcr -introspection
23
24 Mind you, this isn't a new notion; actually pretty damn old
25 (been in user configuration in one form or another for a long
26 time). For whatever reason, it's yet to be proposed/pushed for in
27 PMS, thus bringing it up now.
28
29 Any major complaints? Specifically, collapsing:
30 package.use.mask, use.mask -> use.mask
31 package.use.force, use.force -> use.force
32 package.use.stable.mask, use.stable.mask -> use.stable.mask
33 package.use.stable.force, use.stable.force -> use.stable.force
34
35 ~harring