From: "Michał Górny" <gentoo@××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] RESTRICT=parallel for builds that can't be executed in parallel
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 05:45:17
1 On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 19:12:08 -0700
2 Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Should we add a RESTRICT=parallel value for ebuilds that can't be
5 > built at the same time as other ebuilds? Brian says we need it for
6 > things like xorg-server which calls eselect opengl.
7
8 I don't think that's the right solution. In most cases, xorg-server can
9 be built in parallel with stuff which doesn't require/set specific
10 opengl subsystem set.
11
12 Well, in fact is there _really_ any package which won't work with
13 switched opengl? I guess it's more of a runtime problem that buildtime,
14 and I don't think we really should print out loudly 'libGL has been
15 switched, please do not start OpenGL apps right now'.
16
17 In fact, the best solution in this particular case would be to patch
18 the buildsystem to use Gentoo location for particular OpenGL headers.
19
20 Disabling parallel emerge would be more of a workaround for the issue,
21 and will influence much more packages than it needs to. And it won't
22 help if user is running multiple emerge calls at the same time.
23
24 Another possible workaround is to enable some kind of 'eselect opengl'
25 locking so that another package requiring access to it will wait until
26 our build finishes. But this, of course, would require a quite good
27 solution for maintaining the lock and dropping it whenever build
28 process is aborted/killed.
31 Best regards,
32 Michał Górny
33