From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Userland variable extension
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:51:13
1 This seems to be something we should start thinking of soon, very soon..
2 The original USERLAND variable was originally set to GNU or BSD to indicate
3 the flavor of the system commands. This dicotomic assignment demonstrated
4 itself too generic, and we currently have GNU, BSD and Darwin.
5 This is still too generic: the different BSDs have different handling of some
6 pieces like tar or user handling.
7
8 What I think should be the case is to reserve USERLAND as be, for G/*BSD, one
9 of FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonFlyBSD. The checks for specific userland
10 can then be managed this way.
11 userland_BSD expansion is never used in current tree, most of userland_*
12 expansion is for Darwin and GNU, so it's not a problem.
13 The tests for [[ "$USERLAND" == "BSD" ]] can almost all be changed to
14 [[ $USERLAND = *BSD ]] as that would take all the BSD variants. Specific
15 tests can use the quoting to avoid expansion.
16
17 If nobody has problem with this, in the next days I'll change the tree where
18 necessary...
21 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
22 Gentoo Developer - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
23 (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64, Sound, PAM)