From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] renaming gentoo-oldnet
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 22:38:17
1 Hi all,
2
3 I'm splitting the thread because this is a separate subject.
4
5 On Sun, Aug 04, 2013 at 12:59:56AM +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
6 > I do understand why Roy refer this as oldnet... but why in Gentoo do
7 > we keep the term old? The functionality of these script is huge, and
8 > is better than most distros out there. Do we want keep users out of
9 > it? are we going to obsolete this huge work? If we don't I suggest to
10 > remove the 'old' implication, to something like openrc-gentoo-net.
11
12 Actually the plan is to generalize it so that it works with other init
13 systems. Right now it is very tightly integrated with OpenRc, but there
14 is interest in changing that, so adding openrc to the name would be
15 misleading eventually.
16
17 Also, at this point, renaming it would require renaming the repository on
18 git.overlays.gentoo.org or fixing the ebuild.
19
20 When Robin and I etalked about the split a while back this was the best
21 name we could come up with unfortunately.
22
23 William