From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating EAPI0
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 21:26:52
1 On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Saturday 21 March 2009 21:55:20 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 21:53:16 +0100
4 >>
5 >> Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
6 >> > Because, as you have noticed before, developers get confused which
7 >> > eapi has which features available. And eapi1 is a superset of eapi0,
8 >> > so we don't have to rewrite tons of things.
9 >>
10 >> So? When people do new things, they can move the EAPI forward. That's
11 >> not a reason to modify existing things.
12 >
13 > The added complexity of having a dozen eapis does not offer any benefits to
14 > the average developer. Limiting the amount of complexity tends to reduce the
15 > amount of errors, be it simple developer mistakes or unexpected interaction
16 > errors between different EAPIs in the package manager.
17
18 But you are still talking around the issue. Your logic is that "lots
19 of EAPIs mean its harder to write ebuilds."
20 I buy that argument (complexity implies difficult, no problem!) but it
21 is a very generic argument. What about the complexity of many EAPIs
22 are developers having issues with? What can we do to mitigate these problems?
23
24 Are people using IUSE_DEFAULTS in EAPI0? Are they not bumping the
25 EAPI when adding src_configure to an ebuild? You claim there are all
26 kinds of problems, I want to hear about them so we can fix the tools
27 (aka repoman) to help point out where developers go wrong so they can
28 fix them.
29
30 Over 80% of the tree is still EAPI0, so deprecating it seems a bad
31 choice at this time, even for a 12-16 month timeline.
34 >> > > Introducing a policy encouraging moving things that definitely
35 >> > > aren't in the least bit likely to be a system dep on a bump, sure.
36 >> > > Making 1 or 2 the default for new packages, sure. But rewriting
37 >> > > existing things? That's just an accident waiting to happen.
38 >> >
39 >> > What kind of accident do you expect to happen?
40 >>
41 >> The same kind that always happens when lots of ebuilds get changed.
42 >
43 > ... lots of new features and a few bugs that get fixed the next day? Hey, that
44 > sounds quite bad. And maybe some new herd testers? How rude!
45
46 I don't see the correlation between EAPI bumps and new herd testers.
49 > So what technical reason(s) do we have to keep archaic EAPIs around forever?
50
51 None, luckily this is more than a technical project ;)
54 > Patrick