From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Inotify and (f)crontabs
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 10:49:36
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 >> I have to disagree in this particular case. The anacron homepage,
3 >> anacron.sourceforge.net, gives this exact situation as its primary
4 >> example of what anacron is intended for. Sure, it's not good for
5 >> handling more complex scheduling, but it seems to do what run-crons
6 >> tries to do: run jobs that should have been executed while the
7 >> computer was off, as soon as it comes back on. Am I missing something
8 >> subtle?
9 >
10 > run-crons transparently gives all crons this behavior with very little
11 > overhead rather than making every user set up a dual system: a standard
12 > cron and anacron.
13 >
14 > run-crons is a default helper for crons that just works. if you want to
15 > not use it but opt for anacron instead, nothing is stopping you from doing
16 > exactly that.
17
18 I think Mr Frysinger is grudgingly conceding the point, so can we have some
19 stats eg on CPU time saved blah blah blah? But it'd be really sweet if you
20 could post em on the forums, as the technical discussion seems over for
21 now. (At least to this friendly-coder ;-))
22
23 ie: market it to the user base please, not the devs ;)
24
25 Please be sure that this works from a clean install and test it on a live
26 box as the only system-- for a period of at least a week, as you collect
27 sample data. A write up of how to make it work would be ideal for
28 Documentation, Tips & Tricks imo.
29
30 "2 of 5 - recall to pub" *bzzt*.. click.
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list