From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bittorrent option for downloading files ?
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:05:41
1 begin quote
2 On Thu, 29 May 2003 06:50:23 -0700
3 Zack Gilburd <zack@×××××××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > On Thursday 29 May 2003 06:22, Priit Laes wrote:
6 > > On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 15:22, Henti Smith wrote:
7 > > > just a quick thought ...
8 > > >
9 > > > would it be viable to add bittorrent support to portage to use
10 > > > instead of wget etc ?
11 > > >
12 > > > Henti
13 > > >
14 > > > --
15 > > > gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
16 > >
17 > > It would be good for live/gamecd's... For packages <50 mb it would
18 > > consume too much cpu power, because you would have to set up a
19 > > torrent for every small package out there.
20 > I'm sure there are less consuming and probably less popular
21 > protocols/programs out there for p2p file sharing, no? Also, what
22 > would the problem be with having a variable in the ebuilds like
23 > FILE_GET="[bittorrent|wget]" ?
24
25 I'd suggest a smarter way of doing this actually. something that:
26
27 a) doesnt require change to the .ebuild
28 b) doesn't require manual maintainance
29 c) doesn't require server-side CPU /support
32 something like
33 FETCHCOMMAND="/usr/bin/gentoo-p2p-thingie ${FILE} ${DESTDIR} \
34 --fallback-timeout 600 -- \
35 wget -t 5 --passive-ftp \${URI} -P \${DISTDIR}"
38 Where gentoo-p2p-thingie will automize the download from some supported
39 p2p net (gnutella would work decently if we had a background client that
40 shared distfiles and kept connections, then allowed local "get this
41 file" commands to download. A simple "get the most popular file on a
42 search" would work, provided we use SHA1 matching only. )
45 This would then do fallback after 600 seconds to wget. And since the
46 background daemon keeps sharing the distfiles dir, we would propagate
47 "new" files on the p2p net.
48
49 using a torrent in this case would require a lot of processess on an
50 updating machine (torrent wants you to keep the download process running
51 so it will propagate)
52
53 of course, other networks would work, provided the network in its own
54 scale.
57 //Spider
60 begin .signature
61 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
63 end