From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 17:24:32
1 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> posted
2 1190305172.8728.19.camel@××××××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Thu,
3 20 Sep 2007 09:19:31 -0700:
4
5 > While I would normally agree, there's nothing wrong with having sensible
6 > defaults. After all, we install a bunch of stuff into /home/$user
7 > thanks to /etc/skel, so how is this different?
8
9 The big distinction (other than the privilege one) IMO is that putting
10 things into /etc/skel isn't directly inserting them into a "live" user's
11 home dir. There's a level of indirection, such that "live" users don't
12 have their "live" environments interfered with, and such that there's a
13 chance for the admin to review things if desired, before actually acting
14 on anything in skel in terms of setting up a new user.
15
16 IOW, a direct comparison would be if we setup something like
17 /etc/rootskel/. Of course, that's not quite a correct parallel either,
18 since it's not often that a new "root" user appears =8^P, but the point
19 I'm trying to make by drawing the parallel should be obvious.
20
21 Matter of fact, I'd rather /etc/profile was handled a bit more indirectly
22 as well, say treating it much like /etc/make.conf, creating
23 make.conf.example if the file already existed, or like the /usr/share/
24 baselayout/* files, as I handle the system profile rather differently
25 here too, but that's a somewhat different argument as it's existing
26 behavior (to some extent addressed with etc-update, but one could say so
27 was fstab). At least we can avoid creating further problems of the sort
28 we're avoiding with the above *.example and baselayout/* cases, however,
29 as the current proposal would IMO do.
34 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list