From: Jerome Brown <jerome@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Identifying inherit-only / usable profiles (round 2)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:16:48
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 >>I'd like multiple inheritance in profiles too, or at least some kind of
3 >>mixin style semi-multiple inheritance.
6 > Actually, that would be very useful. Be able to do things like have
7 > both ".." and "../2004.3" in parent, so items from the parent in the
8 > directory structure is read first, followed by the 2004.3 stuff. There
9 > are quite a few cascaded profiles that are nearly identical between
10 > versions, with only a single change, but that are quite divergent from
11 > the parent. This would eliminate most of the duplication and redundancy
12 > in them.
13
14 Wont this cause headaches when it comes to depreciating profiles
15 however? If there are very few changes between versions, I can forsee a
16 time where someone wants to keep 2004.3, 2005.0, 2005.1, 2006.0, 2006.1,
17 2007.0, 2007.1 around because 2008.0 inherits from 2007.1 which inherits
18 from ... (you get the idea). How would this work and how long would you
19 be willing to keep a profile around for until it is removed and not just
20 depreciated?
21
22 (I do think that multiple inheritance is A Good Thing (TM), especially
23 if it becomes possible to have user defined profiles in
24 /etc/portage/profiles which can inherit from multiple 'base' profiles)
27 Jerome Brown
28 Technology Architect
29 Hub.Net
30
31 P: +64 3 961-5116
32 M: +64 29 453 7663
33 F: +64 3 961-5129
34 E: jerome@×××××××.nz
35 W: http://www.hub.net.nz/
36 O: Level 4, 818 Colombo St, Christchurch, New Zealand
37 S: PO Box 1879, Christchurch, New Zealand
38 --
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list