From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC Package name additions
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 17:25:37
1 On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 14:13 +0100, Carsten Lohrke wrote:
2 > On Samstag, 17. März 2007, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
3 > > IMHO I think it should be up to the package maintainer how close they
4 > > want to follow upstream. With regard to development, progress, testing,
5 > > qa, feedback. I think it's a very good thing, since it allows things to
6 > > be caught before actual releases, during development.
7 >
8 > Doing this locally or in some development overlay is fine, but polluting the
9 > tree with every single development build is a bad idea, imho.
10
11 Well at best I might have 2 "development" versions in tree. But most
12 times it's just one, and I will remove older versions during any bump.
13 So hardly any polluting going on. Definitely no worse than what occurred
14 when the package was going unmaintained :)
15
16 Also in server envs, it seems most prefer not to use overlays. From my
17 own experiences, I can't blame them much. Even for testing servers. They
18 will usually divert and wait to test till it hits tree :(
21 William L. Thomson Jr.
22 Gentoo/Java