From: Thomas Sachau <tommy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Amount of useflags enabled by default
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 16:14:56
1 Sebastian Pipping schrieb:
2 > Thomas Sachau wrote:
3 >> In addition, i see a trend to enabled more more more USE flags (either over profiles or via IUSE
4 >> +flag).
5 >
6 > I'm not sure for how much of the IUSE="+foo" cases this applies but I
7 > can explain one of them:
8 >
9 > In xfce-base/xfce4-session-4.6.1-r1 there is +fortune in IUSE
10 > because otherwise previous users of 4.6.1 would be missing the feature
11 > enabled by it.
12 >
13 > If you worry that +foo is becoming a trend _without_ strong reason you
14 > could try enforcing documentation for in metadata.xml (through new tags)
15 > maybe.
19 > Sebastian
23 This is a nice example for a default enabled USE flag, where i see no strong reason to enable it.
24
25 Now i dont know that package nor do i know how many users actually use that feature. If the majority
26 uses that feature, it seems ok to me to enable it by default (either by a specific xfce profile or
27 default enabled USE flag). If its on the other hand a minority, which just complains louder, i would
28 still request the useflag to stay offline by default.
29
30 Together with this, i am glad to see the move of KDE/GNOME specific USE flags from normal desktop
31 profile to KDE/GNOME subprofiles. In most cases, users will either use one of those or none of them.
32 With this change, it will give a better situation for the majority of our users. And for those, who
33 want to use both profiles, they can have a look at portage manpage, as betelgeuse suggested.
36 Thomas Sachau
37
38 Gentoo Linux Developer