From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, base-system@g.o
Cc: crypto@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Current status with openssl-1.1
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 08:36:16
1 W dniu sob, 09.06.2018 o godzinie 10∶22 +0200, użytkownik Lars Wendler
2 napisał:
3 > This and the fact that you can build openssl-1.1 with three different
4 > API versions (0.9.8, 1.0.0 and 1.1.0) makes it exceptionally hard for
5 > openssl consumers to migrate their code to openssl-1.1.
6
7 Could you elaborate a bit on this? Are those versions controlled
8 entirely at build time? Do they provide some degree of compatibility
9 between different APIs, or are they exclusively 'only this API'?
10
11 > openssh upstream even raised the idea to simply focus crypto support in
12 > their software on libressl which I personally think is a really bad
13 > move. But coming from the same people (openssh and libressl are both
14 > developed by OpenBSD people), it's no big surprise this idea came up at
15 > some point.
16
17 Even if that happened, we have projects such as Qt on the other side
18 whose upstreams refuse to support LibreSSL.
21 Best regards,
22 Michał Górny