From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ACCEPT_KEYWORDS +
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:14:15
Hi Felipe.

On Sunday 16 March 2003 11:49, Felipe Ghellar wrote:
> Ok, let's simulate the installation process... > > 1) I preapare everything according to the Install Guide > 2) I set up my make.conf the way I want it, with ~x86 > 3) I run; it ignores my "unstable" choice and builds a > "stable" base system > 4) I run emerge system and then complete the installation > 5) later, I run emerge --sync and emerge -u --deep system; it now > follows my "unstable" choice and brings in all those packages > ignored
The point is: buildlarge number of packets, gcc - twice and glibc once just to name the largest ones. If you get problems during bootstrap, you will have to identify it, correct your settings and rebootstrap.... Which potentially is a much larger waste of time. And by using "whatever pleases" at *this* point we are bringing the chances of failure to a noticeably high rate... Therefore I think the present way of enforcing stable profile is a right way to do it in general. That said, I agree with your point that gentoo, being a meta-distribution, should allow its users to break itself as they wish ;). And the best way to accomodate this would be to add a short note (with appropriate disclaimer, like "we warned you, if you still insisted, please try to sort your screw-ups yourself...") to install instructions. Just a regular note in pp11 or 12 should be fine - not too much noticeable/intrusive, but people looking for that kind of info will find it.. As for possible arguments, that the aove scenario is not such a waste of time, because you can modify to omit recompilations.. Well, if you are going to modify, you will notice what it does and will probably modify it so it picks up your wanted packges in the first place... BTW, please feel free to add these comments to the bug you mentioned, so that somebody may consider modifying docs to suit the situation.. George -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] ACCEPT_KEYWORDS + Felipe Ghellar <fghellar2@×××××××××.br>