From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GCC USE flag changes
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 03:15:50
1 Since people like to start whinging threads every time we have to change flags
2 on gcc this is a friendly notice of some upcoming changes.
3
4 I'm adding an "lto" flag to work around some issues we have with stabilization
5 of 4.6 on alpha (though the flag will be added to all versions).
6
7 I'm also going to rename the "test" flag to "regression-test" or something
8 similar to get it out of FEATURES="test" control. The testsuite is a huge
9 time-suck and only useful to developers IMO (always expected to fail and
10 primarily meant to be used to check for regressions between patchsets). I'm a
11 big supporter of FEATURES="test" by default and I think this is a small step
12 towards that.
13
14 I'll make these changes at the same time as 4.7.3 is bumped to minimize
15 rebuilding but of course stable versions will be affected as well. That's just
16 waiting for me to go through the open bugs so probably end of weekish.
17
18 I'd also like to drop graphite support for versions 4.4 and 4.5. We use a
19 patch to dlopen graphite libs but older versions were written for ppl-0.10/0.11
20 (0.12 is the current version) so I doubt they still work properly (missing
21 symbols and whatnot). Some archs still have 4.5 as the latest stable but
22 graphite isn't a "supported" feature and the number of users on those archs is
23 likely tiny.
24
25 Any thoughts?
29 gcc-porting