From: "D. Wokan" <wokan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is anyone a prude?
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 06:44:57
1 Jason S wrote:
2
3 >--- Lina Pezzella <j4rg0n@g.o> wrote:
8 >>Hash: SHA1
9 >>
10 >>This thread brings up a very good point. There are
11 >>little children
12 >>using our distribution, and they should not be
13 >>exposed to dirty words
14 >>such as the one being disputed in this thread. There
15 >>are other packages
16 >>that are also questionable too. "BitchX" comes to
17 >>mind, and "Evolution"
18 >>is on the top of my die-package-die list. We
19 >>certainly wouldn't want
20 >>little children asking about that, now would we?
21 >>
22 >>In light of the above, I suggest that in the
23 >>interest of being sure not
24 >>to offend anyone, we remove the three aforementioned
25 >>packages and any
26 >>others that might be offensive. It's not censorship,
27 >>it's decency.
31 >Thanks for the mocking. :(
32 >
33 >Well maybe we should have a vote if my moderating
34 >services are no longer needed. I could find better
35 >things to do with my time quite frankly. I just took
36 >the job because it was policy and something I could do
37 >in the background, and I took the heat from other
38 >devs. It's boring and a thankless job. I even get
39 >threats to my life sometimes, nevermind them sharing
40 >their thoughts of what they think of me. ;)
41 >
42 >Maybe it's time to do something else.
43 >
44 >regards,
45 > kutsuya (aka bit`)
46 >--
47 >gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list
50 I'm sure you do a great job of it, and even though I've never been
51 there, I'd like to thank you for doing it. Just be careful not to get
52 into the rut of relying on too many automated processes for banning people.
53
54 Perhaps you need a bot that can feed you the full text of what a person
55 says so you can review it for intent. Kick an obvious "Fsck you"
56 statement to the curb, but perhaps not come down on someone who says, "I
57 made an ass of myself today when I screwed up the system config in front
58 of the boss today."
59
60 It's got to be hard to keep an eye on everything in the room. Some kind
61 of syntax highlighting or the previously mentioned bot (if one such
62 exists or could be created) might do wonders for your moderating sanity.
65 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list