From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: new eclass - pkgconfig.eclass
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 07:21:50
1 Le mercredi 28 novembre 2012 à 22:49 +0100, Justin a écrit :
2 > Solution:
3 > Create them by hand.
4
5 The solution is to tell *upstream* how to build and ship .pc files with
6 their build system.
7
8 If we start shipping .pc files no one else has, projects that use such
9 libraries will have only 2 choices:
10
11 - check the .pc file and use whatever fallback code they had before to
12 find the correct library paths and options.
13 - change nothing and keep their current code
14
15 Either way, we'll be stuck maintaining .pc files no one will be using.
16
17 Please convince upstreams stuck in the middle ages that .pc files are a
18 Good Thing™ that make everybody's lives easier.
19
20 Cheers,
21
22 Rémi