From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-bsd@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 22, Take 2
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 12:42:29
1 Stuart Herbert wrote: [Mon Jun 07 2004, 08:12:12AM EDT]
2 > How are the different userlands of 'gnu' and 'bsd' to be kept apart?
3 >
4 > I'm wondering whether what we actually need here are separate trees, rather
5 > than keywords.
6
7 I'm pretty sure we don't need separate trees. In fact, I would like to
8 do everything possible to prevent having separate trees, since separate
9 trees make maintenance much more difficult.
10
11 Here's how I envision incorporating a BSD userland (and the proof-of-
12 concept system I put together many months ago seems to work).
13 The default userland tools would be specified in profile/packages, in
14 practice either specifying a *BSD base system or the normal GNU tools.
15 Also, profile/make.defaults would set USERLAND="BSD" in cases where a
16 BSD userland should be the default. That way ebuilds can check the
17 value of ${USERLAND}, so that in cases such as GNU sed, make, tar,
18 etcetera (some of which need to be in all system profiles so that
19 Portage can function) the ebuild can run ./configure with an option to
20 prepend a "g" to the names of the tools, preventing the GNU tools from
21 clobbering the BSD tools.
22
23 Sound reasonable? Am I missing something obvious?
24
25 Best,
26 g2boojum
27 --
28 Grant Goodyear
29 Gentoo Developer
30 g2boojum@g.o
31 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
32 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76