From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: SearchSecurity.com: "Linux patch problems: Your distro may vary"
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:51:13
1 Wolfram Schlich <lists@×××××××××××××××.org> posted
2 20060807114221.ALLYOURBASEAREBELONGTOUS.J1712@×××××××××.org, excerpted
3 below, on Mon, 07 Aug 2006 13:42:21 +0200:
4
5 > I just stumbled over an article from SearchSecurity.com which was linked
6 > to in a heise newsticker posting that tries to analyze how fast
7 > distributions react to security vulnerabilities:
8 >
9 > http://tinyurl.com/lplfb
10 >
11 > Quick chart:
12 >
13 > Rank Distro Points/100 ---- -------------------------
14 > ---------- 1. Ubuntu 76
15 > 2. Fedora Core 70
16 > 3. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 63
17 > 4. Debian GNU/Linux 61
18 > 5. Mandriva Linux 54
19 > 6. Gentoo Linux 39
20 > 7. Trustix Secure Linux 32
21 > 8. SUSE Linux Enterprise 32
22 > 9. Slackware Linux 30
23 >
24 > Rank 6 out of 10 is not a great result -- at least we beat SUSE ;)
25
26 I saw the same article and was similarly unhappy. One thing to note is
27 that the timings, AFAIK, are based on the release of the security
28 announcement for the distribution. With Gentoo, as others have pointed
29 out, that means waiting for everybody to stabilize the update -- it's
30 actually in the tree days/weeks before that.
31
32 Realizing it's there for those who want it, well before the GLSA, is
33 useful, altho it doesn't particularly help our standing or make us look
34 that great. I do know however, that as a ~arch user, most of the time
35 when I see a GLSA on the announce list, I check and I've had the fixed
36 version installed for a week or more.
37
38 For those who prefer stable, the above info can still be helpful. As long
39 as you normally visit community sites such as LWN, which list security
40 announcements when they become public (an article is created at the
41 original announcement by the first distrib or the finder/upstream, then
42 updated as the various distribs do their own announcements), the ebuilds
43 are usually in the tree either at the moment of public announcement, or
44 within 24 to 48 hours, best I can tell. There's nothing saying you have
45 to wait for the GLSA or even for stable keywording. Once you see the
46 announcement, check the tree for the version in question, or the
47 changelog, as sometimes it's not a new version upstream so it's just a
48 Gentoo -rX revision. You can then use package.keyword and etc. as
49 appropriate, to get the security update, even if you normally use stable,
50 days/weeks before the GLSA, and normally very soon after public
51 announcement.
56 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
59 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list