From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Switching order of packages in virtual/pkgconfig
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 08:01:02
1 On 02/01/13 17:28, Matt Turner wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 4:11 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
3 >> i'd say never. there is no benefit in switching. pkg-config is the default
4 >> implementation from freedesktop.org.
5 >> pkg-config is now lighter and has less dependencies than before as the
6 >> switch from bundled glib1 to glib2 allowed dropping of the popt library.
7 >
8 > As a data point: pkgconfig and glib:2 are built during stage3 and
9 > removed during --depclean. Switching to pkgconf avoids glib:2 entirely
10 > and saves some stage3 building time.
13 so it's really an non-issue.
14
15 and if someone finds this really an important issue:
16 catalyst could be fixed to enable USE=internal-glib during stage
17 building, heck, I think we could wrap that functionality to USE=build ?