From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, riscv@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] How to structure our RISC-V support
Date: Fri, 07 May 2021 16:05:13
1 > > 1) We stop caring about anything except rv64gc/lp64d.
2 > > People can still bootstrap other stuff with crossdev etc, but the
3 > > Gentoo tree and the riscv keyword reflect that things work with
4 > > above -mabi and -march settings.
5 >
6 > fine by me, for current software/upstream state, it's probably the
7 > most practical way to only support lp64d, this will significantly
8 > ease our life .. besides, it's relatively easy if people want to
9 > support more (lp64/lp32..) later
12 ++
13
14 > > 2) We drop the multilib paths and use "normal" lib64, with
15 > > additional "safety symlinks" (/usr)/lib64/lp64d -> .
16 > > This is what SuSE and (I think) Fedora already does. The symlink
17 > > should be there since "lib64" is NOT an official fallback coded
18 > > into gcc/glibc/binutils; the only fallback present is "lib" ...
19 > can we use different scheme for non-multilib vs multilib?
20 > 1) non-multilibe: just use "normal" lib64, keep align with other
21 > ARCHs (amd64)?
22
23 ++
24
25 > 2) multilib: just stick to current two level lib path
26
27 We can try that but it doesn't solve any of our problems (and we'd
28 have to keep carrying the two-level dir patches).
29
30 (I've already decided some time ago that supporting real multilib
31 stages is too much effort for insufficient gain and stopped publishing
32 them. Until recently I still built them; since glibc-2.33 they broke
33 and while I know how to fix things I haven't had time to do it yet.)
34
35 So if we keep the multilib scheme around, then IMHO only as internal
36 workaround until we/upstream/... have figured out a better directory
37 scheme.
42 Andreas K. Hüttel
43 dilfridge@g.o
44 Gentoo Linux developer
45 (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)