From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] fixing LICENSE issues without reporting bugs
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 13:45:11
1 >>>>> On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, hasufell wrote:
2
3 > License issues seem trivial enough (at least regarding the
4 > functionality of an ebuild) to be fixed without permission of the
5 > actual maintainer.
6
7 Certainly there are trivial license issues, but not all of them are.
8 See bugs 436452 and 441734 for trivial examples, and bugs 440938 and
9 444412 for non-trivial ones. I think that it's better if bugs are
10 filed for the second category, so that the change will be traceable.
11 Also the maintainer should at least be informed in case the LICENSE
12 change would remove the package from the @FREE license group.
13
14 > Even if the fix is wrong the ebuild remains intact.
15
16 > If someone feels uncomfortable about this proposal we could limit
17 > this permission to the license herd.
18
19 > Less bugs, quicker fixes.
20
21 For the remaining trivial cases I'm fine with it either way. And
22 there's no reason to limit the permission to the licenses team.
23
24 Ulrich