From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [LARGE MESSAGE] Media-sound reorganization!
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 08:18:31
1 On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 18:43:00 -0800 George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Some recent philosophical, err :), psychological studies concluded
4 | that person normally deals best with 7-9 objects simultaneously. Less
5 | than that and you have to make your "chain of command" unnecessarily
6 | deep. More than that and you start spending more time searching around
7 | or trying to remember what every one of these these is about. (Don't
8 | remember where I saw it now; my wife is a psychologist, that's most
9 | likely where :)).
10
11 That's when you're dealing with *short term* memory. Long term memory is
12 a whole different kettle of fish. Also, the 7 +- 2 that is usually
13 quoted is only valid for psychologists -- experiments on computer
14 science students here got 12 +- 2. Plus, it can be argued that the test
15 isn't relevant anyway, since it deals with unrelated items.
16
17 Actually, if we worked based upon the original study that that number
18 came from, what we'd have to do is only provide a small part of the
19 portage tree to new users and then gradually increase the selection as
20 time goes on. Which, clearly, we can't do...
21
22 Bleh. If anyone really cares I could go and dig up proper references and
23 so on. But really, this is all just hokey psych nonsense approximately
24 akin to eye of newt and leg of frog...
27 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
28 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
29 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm