From: Troy Dack <tad@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Minor kde2 ebuilds needed?
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 02:45:20
1 Dan Armak said:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Hello,
6 >
7 > Some time ago I closed bug #6897 as WONTFIX. It was an ebuild submission
8 > for a kde2-only app (ie the project seems dead). There is also bug
9 > #10318, which is also for an ebuild for a minor kde2 app. Seeing two
10 > similar bugs close together prompted this letter.
11
12 Both users obviously have some degree of Linux/Gentoo competence because
13 they both submitted ebuilds with their bugs.
14
15 > An app having no kde3 release, in fact no new release since kde 3.0
16 > itself was released last January (as is the case with the above two),
17 > is for the most part a sign of the project being dead or dormant. Which
18 > is an argument against having an ebuild in portage. Although, in most
19 > cases I suppose upstream would still at least accept bugfixes etc.
20
21 Seems like a reasonable assumption.
22
23 > Also for me maintaining kde2 apps isn't fun. I don't have kde2 installed
24 > all the time, and I wouldn't enjoy dealing with problems in it that
25 > aren't present in kde3. I've a committment to Gentoo beyond enjoying
26 > myself, so if the community wants such ebuilds, I'll add them.
27
28 There's commitment and then there is having to look after things that are
29 more than likely going to cause maore problems than they are worth.
30
31 > So I'm asking our users & other developers for their opinion on this.
32 > Are there any objections to not adding kde2 app ebuilds (of course
33 > there might be exceptions for important stuff, but as a general rule)
34 > on these grounds? Does anyone want such stuff?
35
36 My vote is to leave trivial KDE2 apps out of portage. Gentoo users
37 *should* be savvy enough to throw together an ebuild themselves (as these
38 two have demonstrated) and then they can place it in their PORTDIR_OVERLAY
39 directory.
40
41 I wouldn't want to discourage people from submitting bugs (with ebuilds
42 attached) as this is a method for other users (who might not be quite as
43 Gentoo proficient) to get themselves an ebuild. Closing the bugs WONTFIX
44 with an appropriate comment should do though.
47 Troy Dack
48
49 http://linux.tkdack.com
54 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list