From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Requirements for UID/GID management
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 15:02:18
1 On 02/04/2017 03:50 AM, Christopher Head wrote:
2 >>
3 >> Not a bad idea... we chould ship that safe-chown utility, and then
4 >> tell users how to use it to fix their UIDs. The draft that I wrote up
5 >> was for the "fixed UID with random fallback" model, but said utility
6 >> could still be useful for people who want to change their running
7 >> systems to use the same UIDs that would have been chosen by default.
8 >
9 > Are you sure that said utility isn’t simply “chown --from”?
12 One would hope that if they implemented it, that they did it safely --
13 but alas it's not standard.