From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: "Andreas K. Hüttel" <dilfridge@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, binhost@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: binhost
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 18:51:44
1 On Wed, 10 Feb 2021 19:57:48 +0200 Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
2
3 >Hi all,
4 >
5 >I'm announcing a new project here - "binhost"
6 >
7 >"The Gentoo Binhost project aims to provide readily installable,
8 >precompiled packages for a subset of configurations, via central
9 >binary package hosting. Currently we are still in the conceptual
10 >planning stage. "
11 >
12 >https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Binhost
13 >
14 >If you're interested in helping out, feel free to add yourself on the
15 >wiki page.
16 >
17 >Note that I see actually *building* the packages not as the central
18 >point of the project (that could be e.g. a side effect of a
19 >tinderbox). I'm more concerned about
20 >* what configurations should we use
21 >* what portage features are still needed or need improvements (e.g.
22 >binpkg signing and verification)
23 >* how should hosting look like
24 >* and how we can test this on a limited scale before it goes "into
25 >production"
26 >* ...
27 >
28 >Comments, ideas, flamebaits? :D
29 >
30 >Cheers,
31 >Andreas
34 It would be great to improve portage speed with handling binpkgs. I
35 already have my own binhost for a couple of Gentoo systems and even
36 though these systems don't have to compile anything themselves,
37 installing ~100 to ~200 binpkgs takes way more than an hour of
38 installation time. Arch Linux' pacman only takes a fraction of this
39 time for the very same task.
40 I know that I compare apples with pears here but even reducing the
41 current portage time by 50% would be a huge improvement.
42
43 Cheers
46 Lars Wendler
47 Gentoo package maintainer
48 GPG: 21CC CF02 4586 0A07 ED93 9F68 498F E765 960E 9B39