From: "D. Wokan" <wokan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Small irritation: Can people please stop sending their posts in duplicate...
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:11:14
1 Stuart Longland wrote:
2
3 > Hi All,
4 > Sorry for the noise... but a number of people have started sending to
5 > ${LIST}@gentoo.org, CCing to ${LIST}@lists.gentoo.org -- resulting in
6 > duplicate emails being sent to this end.
7 >
8 > If possible, can people kindly pick one, or the other -- and not
9 > both?
10 >
11 > Incidentally, I've fixed the problem with using robin.gentoo.org... I
12 > could've filtered on other headers...but what I've done instead is put
13 > the following in my .mailfilter file (Yes, I use maildrop here):
14 >
15 > if (/Cc: *!.*!@.*.gentoo.org/)
16 > {
17 > xfilter "sed -e 's/$MATCH3/@lists.gentoo.org/'"
18 > }
19 >
20 > if (/To: *!.*!@.*.gentoo.org/)
21 > {
22 > xfilter "sed -e 's/$MATCH3/@lists.gentoo.org/'"
23 > }
24 >
25 > (There's probably a way to combine those into one... but I can't be
26 > arsed looking. ;-)
27 >
28 > Regards,
29 > --
30 > +-------------------------------------------------------------+
31 > | Stuart Longland -oOo- http://stuartl.longlandclan.hopto.org |
32 > | Atomic Linux Project -oOo- http://atomicl.berlios.de |
33 > | - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - |
34 > | I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |
35 > +-------------------------------------------------------------+
36
37 The problem is in the lack of standardization between mailing lists.
38 I've gotten used to just hitting reply-all instead of just reply because
39 a number of lists I'm on don't set the reply-to header like the Gentoo
40 lists do. The first time I saw the too addresses in my recipients, I
41 thought maybe one was some kind of backup list system, but then I saw my
42 reply double-posted.
43
44 I'll try to keep an eye on what's going on in each list that I reply to,
45 but I don't think this is really going to be solved until someone
46 hammers an RFC on it down the Internet's throat. (But even that may not
47 be enough. After all, Outlook Express never did use dash, dash, space
48 to start a signature.)
49 --
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list