From: Andrew Shewmaker <shewa@××××.gov>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Cc: Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@×××××××××××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo branches - modest proposal
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 12:01:51
1 I totally agree. Gentoo is a totally different beast than other
2 distributions, and I think it should stay away from stable, beta, and
3 other types of branches. On the Gentoo home page at
4 http://www.gentoo.org/index-about.html it calls Gentoo a
5 meta-distribution geared toward experienced Linux users and says,
6 "*Portage allows you to set up Gentoo Linux the way you like it*..." and
7 those two statements indicate to me that the developers purposely
8 decided to avoid things like stability levels as found in distributions
9 like Debian. I'm not saying that stability levels are a bad thing,
10 but I don't think it fits in with the philosophy of the Gentoo project.
11
12 It is probably easy to do things like emerge security updates already.
13 I would be surprised if there isn't already a tool that greps through
14 changelogs and outputs a list of packages corresponding to your
15 system that have new security fixes (or something better).
16
17 As for stability, I am sure that the developers try very hard to make
18 new versions of core packages work for everyone. However, considering
19 the astronomical number of Gentoo configurations out there, I don't
20 think that most packages could be declared stable for all users. I
21 think that the burden of determining stability is rightly placed on
22 the system administrator who can install it on an identical
23 development system, in a chroot environment, or in UML first.
24 (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/uml.html) Yes this is a big learning curve,
25 but that's why I want to use Gentoo.
26
27 Because I like the idea of a branchless Gentoo, I would like to ask
28 people for alternative suggestions. What tools or enhancements could be
29 made that would allow us to more easily create our own personalized
30 distributions that are stable, secure, and kept that way through
31 updates?
32
33 To totally abuse the old story about giving vs. teaching a man to fish:
34 Show a man the location of a decent fish restaurant (like RedFish or
35 Debfish) and he will eat a good fish; but show that man how to catch
36 his own fish (or select one from a local market) and teach him how he can
37 cook it quickly and easily according to his taste and he will live and be
38 thoroughly satisfied.
39
40 Andrew Shewmaker
43 Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
46 Why do we want a source "distribution" in the first place?
47
48 While I generally need a rather stable system, I want to have an
49 installation self compiled from the source and keep the sources at
50 hand to be able to trace and debug any application I use when the bug
51 occur. Be it "stable" or "beta" applications.
54 What I mean is that the stability is not a feature that I want to
55 choose at the "distribution" level, but at the package level.
56
57 ...
58
59 So, if we need to give version numbers to gentoo, it's version numbers
60 identifying the scripts and programs specific to gentoo. The packages
61 and package versions should be indenpendent from gentoo version
62 numbering.
63
64 ...
65
66 Clearly, I don't see any need to have "branches" in the versioning of
67 gentoo.