From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: glibc: pt_chown setuid going away by default
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 02:28:04
1 Mike Frysinger posted on Wed, 10 Apr 2013 15:32:40 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Wednesday 10 April 2013 14:56:26 Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >> > tl;dr: make sure your /dev/pts is mounted correctly w/gid=5 or bad
7 >> > things will happen and it's (probably) all your fault
8 >>
9 >> So, who is this directed to?
10
11 >> If this is to anybody who uses Gentoo,
12 >> then at best this should be a place to hash out the contents of the
13 >> news item. We don't expect Gentoo users to read -dev.
14 >
15 > users will be informed of the problem when the ebuild fails and then can
16 > trivially resolve it at that point. this should impact very few (if
17 > any) users, so i don't think a news item makes sense.
18
19 /This/ user would have been affected. I guess the GID bit wasn't in the
20 shipped fstab back in 2004 when I setup the system, or in any case, it
21 wasn't there until I just added it last nite, based on this thread.
22
23 Of course, /this/ user reads dev, too, exactly because it does give me a
24 heads-up on such things, as well as a bit of the reasoning (and often
25 some discussion) behind it.
26
27 I'd argue that any gentooer that takes their gentooing sysadmin
28 responsibilities seriously really should read -dev for exactly that
29 reason, but I suppose in practice we're actually lucky that most don't,
30 or the list would either be too busy to follow (and get anything else
31 done) or would have to be read-only for ordinary users.
32
33 But you're right in that if I hadn't read it here, the die and I assume a
34 reasonable die message would have informed me what action I needed to
35 take to fix the problem.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman