From: karl@××××××××.se
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] packages touching files in /dev
Date: Mon, 23 May 2022 09:39:31
1 Dear package maintainers,
2 please do not mess with preexisting files in /dev.
3
4 I have static /dev and that suit me well for quite a few systems that
5 has a static environment, especially system that are intended to run
6 for a long time and where I tend to minimize the number of running
7 processes, every running process is something that can go wrong.
8 Their /dev/ files are set up for their intended use, and I don't want
9 surprises there.
10
11 When upgrading it isn't easy to see what package that did
12 something to /dev so it isn't easy to bug the guilty party.
13
14 If sys-fs/static-dev is installed, please do not touch /dev,
15 if you want you can leave suggestions in some file.
16
17 Regards,
18 /Karl Hammar