From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mjo@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do (old-ish) Portage QA checks comprise policy?
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 00:17:14
1 On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 06:17:55PM -0500, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 11/4/19 2:40 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > >
4 > > This is a whole other thread I've been talking about for years, but if
5 > > we want to be concerned about dumping "garbage" on people's limited root
6 > > file systems, there are other things we need to re-consider, like our
7 > > notion that we have to install small files everywhere even though they
8 > > aren't always used.
9 > >
10 > > So, if you want to talk about that, please start a whole new thread.
13 > 1. The idea that we should fix all existing problems before we can
14 > prevent people from creating new ones is ridiculous.
15
16 I never said that we should fix all existing problems before we can
17 prevent people from creating new ones. I just said that along these
18 lines this is something else I thought we should talk about. It feels
19 like an inconsistency to me.
20
21 > 2. Those other files don't get installed to the root filesystem on the
22 > systems that we're talking about.
23
24 I do not understand what you think I'm referring to and which files you
25 are talking about.
26
27 The way I'm thinking of a root fs is, /bin, maybe /boot, /etc, /lib* and /sbin.
28
29 > 3. Those other files generally aren't completely useless.
30
31 A number of them are in the default installation.