From: jed lane <llane1@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] some quick newbie qns
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:07:53
1 1.) Gentoo sounds very similar in aproach to SGL, is there fundamental differences?
2
3 2.) If u know, what may be some pros/cons of one over the other?
4
5 3.) Is Gentoo still very much in an early developmental state or would u say it's no less developed than SGL?
6 (Other people have put forward their main argument for not going for gentoo as: "It's still in a early developmental stage, compared to SGL.")
9 Although I have relatively little experiene with Linux, I have watched it from the periphery for 5yrs. Just recently, I have been researching alternative distros and have decided a source-based distro is what i want to get into. I understand considerably more "tech prowess" is going to b required to come to terms with
10 Gentoo and the like, compared to the mainstream distros: Mandrake, RH, SuSE. However, this is one of my main reasons for avoiding the big 3! I want to get my hands dirty and develop a more in-depth understanding of "Linux's" (in the generic sense) internals.
13 Sincerely,
14 jedLane