From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [brainstorm] dev-lang internal package managers and portage
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 22:22:06
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 01/01/2013 04:53 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
5 > On 01/01/2013 22:12, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
6 >>
7 >> In lieu of that, what we do is create ebuilds like
8 >> www-apps/redmine-dependencies. I manually parse the Gemfile for
9 >> the (R)DEPENDs. My life would be a lot easier if we had something
10 >> like gentoo-haskell's hackport that could parse a Gemfile and
11 >> spit out an ebuild. But in any case, it's a poor substitute for
12 >> doing it right.
13 >
14 > If it could be possible, we would have done. Really, Gemfiles and
15 > .gemspecs are just a pain in the ass and most of the time they
16 > don't really represent what they purport to.
17 >
18 > As Ciaran said (wth? do I start 2013 agreeing with Ciaran?), they
19 > don't follow their own rules half the times, which is why we still
20 > hand-craft Ruby ebuilds, and why we often can't update to "the
21 > latest and greatest" package out there: sometimes the latest and
22 > greatest is also broken.
23
24 Understandable, and fine with me as long as someone actually does
25 hand-craft them. I don't *want* to create my own local ebuilds for
26 these things. But you have to for most rails apps.
29 > In general, for what concerns Rails app, packaging them in any form
30 > is a bad idea. How do you actually manage it, when the source code
31 > of the app _is_ the app itself? It's not like you can say "here are
32 > the configuration file for webapp X"..
33 >
34 > It could be possible for webapp-config to come to our help there,
35 > but it would require for it to be rewritten to take Rails into
36 > account, as right now it doesn't. I know because it was trying to
37 > get an ebuild for Typo that I came to install my own blog (instead
38 > of using Gentoo Infra's b2evo) and thus create the monstrosity that
39 > you all know nowadays.
42 I don't really get the webapp-config thing, but if we could all
43 pretend that it works long enough to get some modern apps in the tree,
44 that would solve my problem. Then I could either,
45
46 a) Emerge redmine, ignore it, and install copies manually for my
47 vhosts.
48
49 b) Copy the (R)DEPENDs and IUSE out of that ebuild and into a
50 local one installing only the dependencies. Fundamentally I prefer
51 this since it doesn't install unused files on my system, but it is
52 more work.
53
54 Having them in the tree is important -- whether I use them or not --
55 because it catches conflicting dependencies. Trying to manage rails-2,
56 rails-3, ruby18, and ruby19 by oneself right now is a nightmare.