From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 2 cleanup update
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 20:15:01
1 On Sun, 2020-09-27 at 11:08 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 10:45 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hello, everyone.
5 > >
6 > > TL;DR: we're nearing the total annihilation of Python 2 software
7 > > in Gentoo. Most users could safely disable py2 USE flags today.
8 > > Python 2 vulns have been patched recently, the interpreter and a few
9 > > packages using Python at build time (with no deps) will stay. Should we
10 > > change PYTHON_TARGETS now, or wait some more and just annihilate
11 > > the py2 flag from all packages?
14 > > Long version:
15 > >
16 > > We're reached the point where the majority of packages relying on py2
17 > > have either been ported to py3, removed or masked for removal.
18 > > As a result, I've been able to eliminate python2_7 target from the vast
19 > > majority of dev-python/* packages. On their next system upgrade, our
20 > > users are going to notice most of Python 2.7 modules gone from their
21 > > systems.
22 > >
23 > > However, because of their reverse dependencies a few packages can't lose
24 > > their py2.7-iness, and therefore are going to block depcleaning Python
25 > > 2.7 for now. These include old versions of setuptools, numpy, pillow,
26 > > as well as all versions of cython, nose, pykerberos, pyyaml and their
27 > > dependencies. The major blockers for them are:
28 > >
29 > > - dev-lang/gdl (py entirely optional but the package itself is seriously
30 > > broken)
31 > >
32 > > - dev-db/mongodb (py3 version was just stabilized, need to decide how to
33 > > clean old versions up)
34 > >
35 > > - games-engines/renpy (no py3 version yet)
36 > >
37 > > - media-tv/kodi (py3 version in alpha)
38 > >
39 > > We plan to have these packages fixed or removed by the deadline.
42 > > However, we already know that there are some packages that use Python 2
43 > > at build time and that will keep requiring it past the deadline.
44 > > The initial list includes:
45 > >
46 > > - dev-python/pypy* (TODO: need to figure bootstrap out)
47 > >
48 > > - dev-lang/spidermonkey, www-client/seamonkey, www-client/firefox...
49 > > (thank you, Mozilla)
50 > >
51 > > - www-client/chromium, dev-qt/qtwebengine... (thank you, Google)
52 > >
53 > > Sadly, the big corps are too busy improving their spying functionality
54 > > and creating NIH programming languages to take care of such minor
55 > > matters as cleaning up.
58 > https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=Proj%3DPython3Migration&can=2
59 > is the tracker for python3 migration for chromium. I resent the implication
60 > that Google is 'too busy' to work on it.
61 >
62 > E.g. on
63 > https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=941669&q=Proj%3DPython3Migration&can=2
64 > the last commit was Sept 26, or yesterday ;p
67 Do you happen to have some 'starting date' too?
70 Best regards,
71 Michał Górny