From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: lzma tarball usage
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 13:36:16
1 On Thu, 08 May 2008 09:32:34 -0400
2 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > On Thu, 08 May 2008 09:17:08 -0400
5 > > Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
6 > >> It's troubling to me that projects are using lzma when it's on disk
7 > >> format isn't even final and the project has security issues.
8 > >
9 > > You mean projects like 'GNU tar'?
10 > >
11 > As far as I know Ciaran, all GNU projects have switched or are in the
12 > process of switching to lzma over bzip2. I believe the issue in
13 > question which prompted this original e-mail was due to coreutils.
14 > But I could be wrong.
15
16 You miss my point. GNU tar sometimes changes its on disk format (and
17 will be doing so again at some point for xattrs), and it's had security
18 issues.
21 Ciaran McCreesh