From: R Hill <dirtyepic.sk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: GLEP 41: Making Arch Testers official Gentoo Staff
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 06:31:06
1 Homer Parker wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 18:47 -0400, Stephen P. Becker wrote:
3 >> Let me clarify here. I'm not concerned about ATs having more
4 >> privileges
5 >> at all. I just want to know why if we're making them full developers
6 >> for all intents and purposes, we don't go the extra step and get them
7 >> commit access after a probationary period? It seems like this is
8 >> supposed to be the end goal anyway. Basically, I feel like this GLEP
9 >> goes outside the bounds of what I think of when somebody mentions the
10 >> arch testers. Maybe it's just me though.
11 >
12 > Some people don't want to be a dev. Some people can't commit the
13 > resources to maintain dev status. There's a lot more responsibility in
14 > being a dev then an AT, and some people don't want that. So, becoming an
15 > AT is a way they can contribute without having to worry about all the
16 > extra responsibilities involved with being a dev.
17
18 I just wanted to say that this is exactly the situation i'm in. I've
19 applied to the x86 arch tester team because i enjoy working on Gentoo,
20 but don't have a lot of time to do it in. Work carts me about 100 miles
21 from an internet connection every Monday and drops me back off in
22 civilization every Friday. Knock off another half-day spent trying to
23 catch up on humongoloid GLEP threads and I don't have a bunch of free
24 time left. ;] Arch testing is one way I can contribute without the
25 overhead, and I don't fancy becoming a developer any time soon.
26
27 --de.
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list