From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: musikc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Nominations Update
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:26:40
1 On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 17:38:16 -0700
2 Christina Fullam <musikc@g.o> wrote:
3 > 1) What you will do
4 > 2) Why you will do it
5 > 3) How you will do it
6 > 4) What is the timescale for doing it
7 > 5) What experience do you have with this or a similar role
8 > 6) Why do you think you are qualified
9 > 7) How you plan to balance a council role with your current Gentoo
10 > role 8) How much time can you dedicate to the council role
11
12 After much thought and many encouraging words from other developers,
13 I've decided to accept the nomination for the council.
14
15 I wrote about some of my goals recently on my blog [1]. My primary
16 focus is to make Gentoo a better tool. They are all reasonable goals
17 that should be doable over the course of the next year.
18
19 Also, I want to join the council to ensure that Gentoo's long-term
20 values are upheld. Since I joined Gentoo four years ago, I've become
21 one of our senior developers. That's given me a strong understanding of
22 our core philosophies. It's crucial for our council to maintain our
23 philosophies through its actions, so the council should be composed of
24 people who understand what Gentoo really means.
25
26 I've held a number of leadership roles within Gentoo, including X team
27 lead, clustering project lead and desktop manager. I spent quite a
28 while on devrel as a recruiter, which helped me learn about mentoring
29 new developers and dealing with difficult old ones. I try to be a voice
30 of reason on the mailing lists, and I care deeply about building the
31 strength of our community, both of which I've worked on over my time as
32 a developer.
33
34 Many of our current council members who chose to decline their
35 nominations mentioned that dealing with difficult people was what
36 determined their choice. One of my strengths is remaining calm under
37 pressure, so I can deal with this.
38
39 A year ago, I declined nominations for both the council and the board of
40 trustees. This year gave me time to consider what I really care about in
41 Gentoo. The conclusion I came to is that what I care about most is our
42 community and making Gentoo a better tool, both of which I can better
43 accomplish by joining the council.
44
45 Although I do have a number of projects [2] in the works, they've been
46 on the back burner for a while and I'm content to let them stay there
47 while I work on my true priorities in Gentoo. The X work has gotten a
48 lot easier since we got to a smooth, fully modular setup. I'd like to
49 get another recruit to help with bugs now that Josh retired, but it's
50 not so time-consuming that I don't have time for the council.
51
52 Thanks,
53 Donnie
54