From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] depscan.sh segfault issue
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:16:03
1 On Mon, 2001-11-12 at 07:49, jano wrote:
2 >
3 > Ahhhh poop, feel like a dork replying to myself. But I made some progress.
4 >
5 > I've narrowed down the problem to the gpm init.d script. For some reason,
6 > depscan doesn't like it at all. I messed around, and found an interesting,
7 > albeit STRANGE, pattern:
8 >
9 > if I named gpm to:
10 > gpm-
11 > gpm~
12 > gpm1
13 > gmp
14 > gpf
15 > mouse
16 > mouse-script
17 >
18 > and tried to add it using rc-update (makeing sure it was removed first),
19 > depscan would segfault. However, when I named gpm to
20 > testing
21 > test
22 > blah
23 > foobar
24 > it worked great.
25 >
26 > I also tried commenting out everything inside the script, moving stuff
27 > around, blah blah blah, no go.
28 >
29 > Uhhhm.... HUH??????????????????????? This is mucked up. :D
32 Yep. I cant think it being depscan.sh itself, rather maybe a
33 bug in bash, or something. Try another version bash, or maybe
34 remerge bash with less optimizations.
37 > > Hi,
38 > >
39 > > my depscan.sh segfaulting issue is still here. I upgraded baselayout
40 > > to next version (1.6.5 from 1.6.4), but couldn't figure out how to make
41 > > it work.
42 > > Per rec of some people on irc, I ran depscan.sh through strace. Sorry,
43 > > i have no idea how to debug a seg fault, but the output of depscan
44 > > through strace is here, for anyone interested:
45 > >
46 > > http://www.portablehole.net/~jano/fridge/strace.depscan.sh.bz2
47 > > (28k, decompresses to 3.5MB file)
48 > >
49 > > system specs:
50 > > kernel 2.4.14 with preempt and xfs patches
51 > > p3 800x2, 512MB ram
52 > > via apollopro chipset
57 Greetings,
61 Martin Schlemmer
62 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
63 Cape Town, South Africa