From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pr@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE3 deprecation news item. [ the GLEP 42 based variant ]
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:23:30
1 >>>>> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, TomᨠChvátal wrote:
2
3 > Title: KDE3 will be masked and removed from portage
4 > Author: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
5
6 Maybe add your self as author? Multiple "Author" fields are allowed.
7 (And yes, UTF-8 in header fields is allowed, too. ;-)
8
9 > Content-Type: text/plain
10 > Posted: 2009-10-29
11 > Revision: 1
12 > News-Item-Format: 1.0
13 > Display-If-Installed: <kde-base/kdelibs-4
14
15 > Please turn your KDE radio on, and make sure to turn the volume to its maximum
16 > level for this important message.
17
18 Please wrap lines at 72 characters, which is the standard for news
19 items.
20
21 > After multiple setbacks we have finally managed to stabilise KDE4 on both
22 > major desktop architectures (amd64 and x86), where other teams are to follow.
23
24 > This means that those of you who still use KDE3 should start considering an
25 > upgrade right away, due to various reasons. [1]
26
27 > The KDE3 support is being dropped with immediate effect. This means that
28 > ebuilds are dropping KDE3 support where they were broken, or clashing with
29 > KDE4.
30
31 > If you wish to still use KDE3, and you want to help others with having KDE3
32 > around, drop a mail to kde@g.o, where we can give you commit access to
33 > the special overlay which will specifically contain only KDE3 packages. [2]
34
35 I think this paragraph shouldn't be included in a news item that
36 concerns primarily the main Portage tree. IMHO at least the part about
37 commit access should be left out.
38
39 > Sadly upstream is not supporting KDE3 anymore and we simply lack the manpower
40 > to keep support for both (as you might have noticed in the past few months
41 > KDE3 has become more and more rusty for which we humbly apologize).
42
43 > Sorry to bring you the bad news and with hope that KDE4 will suit your needs,
44
45 > Tomas Chvatal
46 > KDE Teams substituting Lead
47
48 Omit the signature. I think it's not formally forbidden, but neither
49 the example in GLEP 42 nor any of the news items so far had one.
50
51 Ulrich