From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: pr@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE3 deprecation news item. [ the GLEP 42 based variant ]
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:23:30
>>>>> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, TomᨠChvátal wrote:
> Title: KDE3 will be masked and removed from portage > Author: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
Maybe add your self as author? Multiple "Author" fields are allowed. (And yes, UTF-8 in header fields is allowed, too. ;-)
> Please turn your KDE radio on, and make sure to turn the volume to its maximum > level for this important message.
Please wrap lines at 72 characters, which is the standard for news items.
> After multiple setbacks we have finally managed to stabilise KDE4 on both > major desktop architectures (amd64 and x86), where other teams are to follow.
> This means that those of you who still use KDE3 should start considering an > upgrade right away, due to various reasons. [1]
> The KDE3 support is being dropped with immediate effect. This means that > ebuilds are dropping KDE3 support where they were broken, or clashing with > KDE4.
> If you wish to still use KDE3, and you want to help others with having KDE3 > around, drop a mail to kde@g.o, where we can give you commit access to > the special overlay which will specifically contain only KDE3 packages. [2]
I think this paragraph shouldn't be included in a news item that concerns primarily the main Portage tree. IMHO at least the part about commit access should be left out.
> Sadly upstream is not supporting KDE3 anymore and we simply lack the manpower > to keep support for both (as you might have noticed in the past few months > KDE3 has become more and more rusty for which we humbly apologize).
> Sorry to bring you the bad news and with hope that KDE4 will suit your needs,
> Tomas Chvatal > KDE Teams substituting Lead
Omit the signature. I think it's not formally forbidden, but neither the example in GLEP 42 nor any of the news items so far had one. Ulrich